[pgpool-general: 1887] running pgpool on every web server

Nathan Brennan nathan at healthengine.com.au
Thu Jul 11 20:49:37 JST 2013

Hey,

I'm trying to set-up a ha PostgreSQL installation where there is 4 or more
web servers and 2 or more PostgreSQL servers.

The PostgreSQL servers will run in master-salve replication mode and I
would like pgpool to do failover and auto-recovery.

My knowledge of pgpool is limited so I have been doing alot of reading and
looking through examples however every example I look at seems to have only
1 pgpool which to me just moves the point of failure onto pgpool.

My current thinking is I will install pgpool on each web server which will
allow me to easily do connection pooling however I'm not sure if this will
allow me to do auto-recovery and auto-failover as from what i read pgpool
needs to be a "master" and with each web server having pgpool installed
they will conflict when trying to change a slave to master or recover a new
server.

Is this true or would I be able to install pgpool on each webserver without
problems ?

my webservers and postgresl span multiple subnets so I am unable to create
a virtual ip and just change it when pgpool goes down :(.

Currently have postgresql version 9.1 install but can upgrade to 9.2

Cheers.