[pgpool-general: 664] Re: Explanation of promote button in pgpooladmin interface

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Jun 26 14:42:15 JST 2012

> I am running pgpool 3.0.5 and pgpooladmin 3.1.1 and have two databases
> (Postgresql 9.0) with master/slave streaming replication. I followed the
> instructions
> http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/simple_sr_setting2_3.0/index.htmlto
> set it up. So far, replication and failover work fine- if my primary
> server (Ubuntu1) fails then the secondary (Ubuntu2) becomes the primary. At
> this point the pgpooladmin interface shows the new primary server with a
> "disconnect" button and the new secondary with "disconnect" and "promote".
>
> Since I have some software that makes it very hard to edit the connection
> information, they are still connected to the old Primary server Ubuntu1.
> They can successfully connect, but they have a read-only connection.
>
> I would like to be able to promote Ubuntu1 to be the new primary server
> again, but when I press "promote" nothing happens in either the pgpool log
> or the postgresql logs. Eventually I get a message about
> "wait_connection_closed" in the pgpool log, after a time-out of some kind.
>
> I think I must be missing something in my setup so:
>
> Is it possible to do promotion like that in 3.0?
> If so- what have I missed to get the promote button to work?
> If not- what is the best method of promoting a slave back to master?

"promote" button just executes pcp_promote command.  If you want to
change the primary node from Ubuntu2 to Ubuntu1, please follow step:

1) Shutdown Ubuntu2.

2) Ubuntu1 should automatically take over and become primary.

3) At this point you should find "Recovery" button at Ubuntu2
   row. Press the "Recovery" button to make Ubuntu2 as new standby
   server.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp