[pgpool-general: 663] Explanation of promote button in pgpooladmin interface

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Tue Jun 26 00:24:13 JST 2012

Hi,

I am running pgpool 3.0.5 and pgpooladmin 3.1.1 and have two databases
(Postgresql 9.0) with master/slave streaming replication. I followed the
instructions
http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/simple_sr_setting2_3.0/index.htmlto
set it up. So far, replication and failover work fine- if my primary
server (Ubuntu1) fails then the secondary (Ubuntu2) becomes the primary. At
this point the pgpooladmin interface shows the new primary server with a
"disconnect" button and the new secondary with "disconnect" and "promote".

Since I have some software that makes it very hard to edit the connection
information, they are still connected to the old Primary server Ubuntu1.
They can successfully connect, but they have a read-only connection.

I would like to be able to promote Ubuntu1 to be the new primary server
again, but when I press "promote" nothing happens in either the pgpool log
or the postgresql logs. Eventually I get a message about
"wait_connection_closed" in the pgpool log, after a time-out of some kind.

I think I must be missing something in my setup so:

Is it possible to do promotion like that in 3.0?
If so- what have I missed to get the promote button to work?
If not- what is the best method of promoting a slave back to master?

Many thanks

Jo

--
***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18

864201149.