[sylpheed:36900] Re: Gmail throttling?

Anton Shepelev anton.txt at gmail.com
Fri May 15 06:36:42 JST 2020

Aderoy:

> As of just a few minutes ago I am able to access Gmail via IMAP
> no issues.  This is via portable version 3.7 on Win10
>
> Am at work so I can read but not send at current time, yet was
> able to send from home earlier today. Will retest via both Win10
> and Linux Debian once at home.

Thank you very much for testing, Aderoy. My problem seems to be
described here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/1071518?hl=en ,
and I do hope the block is temporary, but am not sure. And the
support of free Gmail accounts is practically nonexistent...

I think it was a bug in Sylpheed, or my misunderstanding of how it
works, that caused the block. On a remotely connected work PC, I
started an instance of Sylpheed with the --configdir parameter
pointing to a Windows share with a backup of my mail:

sylpheed.exe --configdir \\SRV3\Shepelev_AV\WorkPC\SHARE\MAIL\

and it began to download 30 000 or more of my e-mails over and over
again. Having decided that it would stop in the end, I left
Sylpheed running for a night. On the next morning my Gmail account
was blocked. I don't know why Sylpheed behaved that with a mailbox
located on a Windows share and begin an exact duplicate of my
actual working mailbox...

/\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]