[sylpheed:36677] Re: Global Search

ene at quantentunnel.de ene at quantentunnel.de
Mon Feb 26 02:53:09 JST 2018

Sun, 25 Feb 2018 18:15:44 +0100, Antonio Ospite <ao2 at ao2.it>:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:26:48 +0000
> ene at quantentunnel.de wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your answer.
> >
> > I actually tried that as a guess; and tried it again now. Nothing
> > happens if I do that; and I waited 30s just in case. It also doesn't
> > show "No messages matched" or anything similar like it does when
> > selecting a folder to search in. I tried rebuilding the folder tree,
> > too.
> >

> Maybe that's because you are using IMAP accounts? Each IMAP account
> has its own top-level folder, so they are not under the "Mailbox (MH)"
> folder.
>
> Ciao,
>    Antonio
>
> --
> Antonio Ospite
> https://ao2.it
> https://twitter.com/ao2it
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Thank you for your input as well. I have one POP3 account and two IMAP ones.

I just now realised why I couldn't replicate Craig's results: when I was referring to "search", I meant the little search field next to the filter dropdown menu, i.e. the quick search. I clicked on the root node in the folder tree; and then, using this search box, gives no results. What Craig probably meant was clicking on the root folder, and then doing Edit > Search Messages, which brings up another window with detailed search. That indeed works globally, which is nice.

Still, I would find it tremendously helpful to have the quick search bar with a checkbox for "global". The advanced search is useful when making complicated searches, but it is cumbersome and doesn't jump to where the found email is like the quicksearch does.

I tried going through the source a bit. In quick_search.c, there is this for loop:

	for (cur = summaryview->all_mlist; cur != NULL; cur = cur->next) {

What is this all_mlist we are iterating over? In summaryview.c I see:

	mlist = folder_item_get_msg_list(item, !update_cache);

	folder_set_ui_func(item->folder, NULL, NULL);
	item->folder->data = save_data;

	statusbar_pop_all();
	STATUSBAR_POP(summaryview->mainwin);

	summaryview->all_mlist = mlist;

So it seems there we pick up only the messages in the selected summary view to be put into mlist, on which quicksearch can operate. I would hack away at this, but don't have much experience with C, GTK etc. Can anybody comment how feasible it would be make this change (say conditionally with a checkbox) to have e.g. a summaryview->global_mlist on which the quicksearch can operate?

Best,
Jan