[sylpheed:36303] Re: A performance problem (rant).

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Apr 28 00:23:58 JST 2015

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 09:39:00 +0200
John Found <johnfound at asm32.info> wrote:

> For example, in order to open a folder with 15000 e-mails, sylpheed needs 5..6 seconds.

FWIW, Sylpheed always had "problems" when going above 10k mails per
folder, no matter whether using local MH or remote imap. But given
the fact that computers got faster in the last 10 years and that I
learned to split out large folders into sub-folders (just moving
everything that is older than, 5 years) makes sylpheed fast enough
for most of my tasks (note, i dont mind waiting for 5-10 seconds
for opening an a large folder). With my current computers, the limit
seems to be around 60k-70k mails per folder.

That said, from what i gathered the last 14 years of using sylpheed,
it's very much likely that the problem is actually not sylpheed itself
but the gtk lists used to handle folders (long long ago, in a galaxy
far away, i once profiled sylpheed and it spend most of the time in libgtk*).
Also, sylpheed always got slower when gtk was upgraded.

What I found most annoying though, is when downloading all the mails
on my imap server (so I can carry them around on my laptop and read
them without network), that sylpheeds checking of whether it needs
to download a mail or not takes a considerable amount of time. So much
that just simply running "download" a second time takes 20-30min on
fast connection with low latency. If the imap server is further away
than around 50-60ms, it takes more than an hour.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.