[sylpheed:34722] Re: firefox

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 18 00:30:53 JST 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:06:07 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:50:06 -0400
> Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org> wrote:
>
> > Using windows XP and firefox 3.x, what is the "magic incantation"
> > one needs to get firefox to automagically open a compose window in
> > sylpheed when I click on a mailto: link.
>
> Start with Windows: In XP's Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove
> Programs, use the set defaults button on the left.  Under Custom, set
> FF as the default browser or, if you prefer and FF's open, choose use
> the current browser (that's what I do with Opera).  Then in Sylpheed,
> Config > Details > External Commands, put in "(Default browser)".

I should add that sometimes in Opera I have to click and wait, or click
two or three times on an email link to get Sylpheed to open (and then
maybe it opens two windows). And sometimes it doesn't work at all, which
I assume has to do with the website's programming.  It's also to note
that if Sylpheed was last used to view a newsgroup, then the compose
window will show that in From, rather than one's main email address.

Gene