[sylpheed:33211] Re: Workaround for buggy MUAs

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Sep 22 16:11:59 JST 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:52:02 +0200
Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:37:07 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > > Windows-1252 is a superset of ISO-8859-1, anyway, so anything
> > > encoded as ISO-8859-1 can be sucessfully decoded as Windows-1252.
> > > Even the HTML5 draft says it's a good idea[1].
> >
> > 	However win-1252 mislabeled as iso8859-1 will produce wrong
> > results when displayed
>
> as iso8859, yes. That's what my suggestion adresses.
>
> > 	As for the suggestion in the HTML5 draft - YEUCH in the name
> > of compatability a deliberate policy of misinterpreting properly
> > labeled content is recommended.
>
> Once one gets over his Microsoft distaste and disdain, and realizes
> that Microsoft won't fix their software however loudly one complains on
> free software mailing-lists, one can get pragmatic and decide that
> there's no practical drawback at all in decoding iso-8859-1 as win-1252.

	That's true for iso8859-1 and win-1252 but not true for all the
pairs suggested in the HTML5 draft.

> In other terms: ISO-8859-1 being a subset of Windows-1252, it is not
> misinterpreted when parsed as Windows-1252, even if it's itching the
> purist.

	I'm happy with that (if a little itchy) but the HTML5 suggestion
that misinterpreting in the name of compatability is a good idea is IMHO
really bad.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun