[sylpheed:33025] Re: Sylpheed compilation problems on Gentoo

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 18:31:53 JST 2009

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:13:55 -0700, Polyhead wrote:

> > What problems do you see?
>
> I'm going to say ignore my ponderings.  I just downloaded the package and it compiled and executes fine.  It's something broken with gentoo.  If gentoo maintainers are going to ignore users like this, I think it's time to change distros.  I've been using it since 2002, and it has finally hit the point of no return.  the distro is dead.

Note that with properly prepared source tarballs you don't need any of the
autotools on your system. It's not necessary to run them (or autoreconf)
manually either. Whenever you need the autotools to be installed, that's
evidence that the upstream developers have released a "broken" source
archive.

Whether anything is wrong with Gentoo, you're talking to the wrong
person. ;-) I've never been a Gentoo user/ambassador, and whenever I've
talked to a temporary Gentoo fan, I have found the benefits of that
distribution model to be highly doubtful. In particular the amount of
customising/compiling one really wants to do. You're free to choose, too.

> socket.h:49: error: redeclaration of enumerator 'SOCK_NONBLOCK'
> /usr/include/bits/socket.h:71: error: previous definition of
> 'SOCK_NONBLOCK' was here

Actually that used to be a conflict between the Sylpheed library
socket API and glibc. It's been fixed in Sylpheed 2.6.0 at least.