[sylpheed:32858] Re: UTF to ISO-8859-1 code conversion error

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Feb 9 22:52:27 JST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:37:01 -0500
Celejar <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Code Conversion Error
> >
> > Can't convert the character encoding of the message body from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1.
> >
> > Send it as UTF-8 anyway?
>
> When I select yes, the message is encoded as UTF-8.  What does this
> mean?

It means that you have ISO8859-1 as default outgoing character set, but
the mail you are about to send contains characters that are not within
this character set. The right thing to do then is to press yes and let
the mail be send out as utf-8.

As for your scenarios. Sylpheed uses a default incoming char set,
that should be in your case UTF-8 (if not otherwise defined). Hence
it can happen, if the mail doesnt contain a valid character set
encoding header field, that you end up with weird characters.
There is no right way to handle this case, but let the user
deside what character set the received mail uses.

			Attila Kinali

--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.
If you want to walk far, walk together.