[sylpheed:33438] Re: Sylpheed 3.0beta4 always dies when sending mail in an Ubuntu 64bit system - more detail

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Wed Dec 23 20:34:54 JST 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:52:43 +0100
Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner at TU-Berlin.DE> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:43:43 +0200 John Shane wrote:
>
>   [ ... ]
>
> > Thanks Doruk.  I have installed curl, libcurl3 and libcurl3-gnutls
> > and Sylpheed still crashes after sending.  I then disabled "Enable
> > auto update check" in the configuration settings.  It still
> > crashes.  Only now it just dies with  "Segmentation fault" and no
> > mention of curl. :-)
>
> WTH has "check for updates" to do with sending mail?

You folk with more knowledge about these things will have to correct
this but I suspect that there were two things going on.  One was the
absence of curl and libcurl in my system.  Since "check for updates" was
enabled I then saw the warning "couldn't execute curl."  Installing
curl cleared up that problem but it wasn't what was causing the
segfault.  As far as I know checking for updates has nothing to do with
sending mail unless Sylpheed checks for updates each time it sends a
message.

By the same token, what does spell checking have to do with sending
mail?  I couldn't answer that one either except that when I disabled
spell checking Sylpheed no longer crashes when I send mail.

I'm sure someone here can explain it though. :-)