[sylpheed:30716] Re: MIME decoding is not done

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Fri Jan 12 04:13:25 JST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:22:28 +0200
Cristian Secară <orice at secarica.ro> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:38:35 -0500, Bruce Bowler wrote:
>
> > I mean, after all, standards are standards, not guidelines.
>
> Browsers are tolerant too to some non-standard items. If a page is
> badly displayed, I will search for a browser that displays it
> correctly. I don't care (or maybe don't understand) whom is the fault, I
> only want a product that works for me.
> I think a similar approach can be applied here. I suppose Sylpheed is
> not meant to be a validation tool ...

We're getting off-topic here so this will (most likely) be my last post
on this subject, but a large part of the reason you have to check a page
with multiple browsers is because the folks who write the software that
produces the bulk of the web (HQ in Redmond WA, USA, I know they don't
write the web, they write the software [word, front page, etc] that
others use to write the web) don't give a damn about standards (hence my
parting comment in the last email).  The HTML their tools produce is
utter crap.  If users would hold MS' feet to the fire, maybe they would
realize that they can't set the standard (they're more than welcome to
participate), they have to follow them.

When I find a page that doesn't work with firefox, I let the webmaster
know.  If I'm desperate to see the page, I'll try opera too.  If it still
doesn't work, I may try and find someone with IE and ask them to try it.

If the folks out there in "web land" followed standards, I (and you :-)
wouldn't have to go through these time-wasting exercises...

Thanks, I feel better :-)

Bruce