[sylpheed:30615] Re: some tutorial about using the spam filter ?

Stefaan A Eeckels Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu
Sat Dec 23 05:42:39 JST 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:17:52 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at highstream.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure about Mailwasher Pro, but with the free version I just go
> through the emails on screen and eliminate the spam and others,
> marking them appropriately, so they never make it to Sylpheed.  A
> different approach if one is going to have to go one by one anyway.

Once bogofilter is trained there's no need to go one-by-one. Just
occasionally one needs to go through the "Suspected SPAM" folder to
look for a false positive, possibly leading to a white-listing.

We do not have a SPAM/SCAM/PHISING problem in our network, as virtually
none (about 1 in 10,000) of these messages make it through our filters.

To be complete, there's more than bogofilter in our defenses:

1. The MTA refuses all mail with a non-existing address. This is pretty
standard these days.

2. Addresses without a proper reverse DNS are rejected.

3. I use the Spamhaus blocking list to eliminate known spam sources

4. What still gets through is taken care of by bogofilter.

> What got me interested in the subject again was the question about the
> bogo tutorial and the reply as to where the bsw*.exe file is
> located. I can't find it anywhere within the RC version folders.
> Anyone be more specific?

Sorry, I'm running bogofilter on Solaris 10...

--
Stefaan