[pgpool-hackers: 3494] Re: [Proposal] Check if socket file exists at startup and remove them if PID file doesn't exist.

Bo Peng pengbo at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jan 23 11:44:50 JST 2020

Hello,

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 12:01:02 +0900 (JST)
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> >> The patch looks good to me. Also I think we should back patch this to
> >> all supported branches.
> >
> > Thank you for reviewing my patch.
> > Yes. I agree to back patch it to all supported branches.
>
> You are welcome.
>
> BTW, although not directly connected this patch, I found a bug with
> Pgpool-II start up process while checking the patch. Around line 279
> of main/main.c:
>
> 		if (pid > 0)
> 		{
> 			if (kill(pid, 0) == 0)
> 			{
> 				ereport(FATAL,
> 						(errmsg("pid file found. is another pgpool(%d) is running?\n", pid)));
> 			}
> 			else
> 				ereport(NOTICE,
> 						(errmsg("pid file found but it seems bogus. Trying to start pgpool anyway...\n")));
> 		}
>
> Since elog system is not yet initialized at this point, those messages
> are effectively ignored. Probably we should change them to standard
> fprintf(stderr...) or something like that.

Yes. ereport(...) doesn't output any messages.
But, when I change ereport(...) -> fprintf(stderr...),

       if (pid > 0)
          {
              if (kill(pid, 0) == 0)
              {
                  fprintf(stderr, "pid file found. is another pgpool(%d) is running?\n", pid);
              }
              else
              {
                  fprintf(stderr, "pid file found but it seems bogus. Trying to start pgpool anyway...\n");
              }
          }

the messages are redirected to log file, instead of standard output.
Is it expected behavior?

----- pgpool.log -----
pid file found but it seems bogus. Trying to start pgpool anyway...

--
Bo Peng <pengbo at sraoss.co.jp>