[pgpool-hackers: 3469] Re: Patch for making the default socket path configurable

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Nov 1 17:21:19 JST 2019

Usama,

> I am confused.
>
>> Hi Hackers
>>
>> As different packages of Pgpool-II like Debian and rpm require different
>> default paths for placing the UNIX domain socket files. But the problem is
>> that, even if we mention that in the pgpool.conf sample files ( using some
>> patch or manual editing before creating the package) the actual code still
>> considers the '*/tmp*' (that is hardcoded in the source) as a
>> default socket directory path, which is not right and confusing. Especially
>> in case of PCP utilities as they still try to locate the socket in *'/tmp'*
>> (because they have no idea about pgpool.conf settings).
>
> Surely the path to socket directory is hard coded in the source code,
> but I see it no problem because pgpool actually uses the path specified
> in pgpool.conf, no?
>
> Actually the situation is same in PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL does not have
> configuration option to specify the path to sockets. If PostgreSQL
> doesn't need the option in configure, why pgpool needs it?
>
> I see more problem with that pgpool/pcp only accepts single socket
> path (PostgreSQL accepts two or more paths). This is annoying in an
> environment where each client linked with different libpq which has
> different default path to sockets, for example /tmp and
> /var/run/postgresql. We need to enhance this for 4.2 I think.

After off-list conversation with you, I realized I misunderstood your
idea: you were talking about client side problem like pcp
commands. Their default socket path is defined at the compile time and
cannot be changed later on by the configuration file.

Now I totally agree with your idea. Please go head.