[pgpool-hackers: 3285] Re: Improvement of installation document

Bo Peng pengbo at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Mar 29 09:35:43 JST 2019

Hi,

Thank you for reporting the improvement of docs.

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 20:46:05 +0900
Yugo Nagata <nagata at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of our clients suggested that the installation document[1] lacks description
> about requriements of installing *-devel packages. For example, postgresqlxx-devel
> is required for using --with-pgsql, and openssl-devel for --with-openssl, and so on,
> but these are not documented.
>
> [1] http://www.pgpool.net/docs/pgpool-II-3.7.4/en/html/install-pgpool.html

Yes. Actually Hoshiai-san have already committed this imporvement in Master branch.
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgpool2.git;a=commitdiff;h=b69e94e97ed4226e335e85f01bfc373c8e11db8f

As you said, I think we should also add this description to other stable branch.

> I know the document of PostgreSQL[2] also lacks the description about openssl-devel,
> kerberos-devel, etc. (except to readline-devl). However, it would be convenient
> for users who want to install Pgpool-II from source code if the required packages
> for installation are described in the document explicitly.
>
> [2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-requirements.html
>
> Is it not worth to consider this?
>

> BTW, the Pgpool-II doc[2] says:
>
> --with-memcached=path
>     Pgpool-II binaries will use memcached for in memory query cache. You have to install libmemcached.
>
> , but maybe libmemcached-devel is correct instead of libmemcached?

Yes. I think you are correct.

Hoshiai-san,

Could you confirm and add these improvements below, if you have time?

Bo Peng <pengbo at sraoss.co.jp>