[pgpool-hackers: 2863] Re: Proposal: logging client message

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jul 12 14:22:15 JST 2018

> This is a proposal toward Pgpool-II 3.8.
>
> Pgpool-II is sensitive to handle client messages (from clients to
> Pgpool-II) and server messages (from Pgpool-II to PostgreSQL
> servers). it is often required to log them for testing and debugging
> purposes. For severs messages, it is possible to log them by turning
> on log_per_node_statement. However, currently the only way to log
> client messages is enabling debugging log, which produces huge amount
> of logs.
>
> So I would like to propose a new configuration parameter
> "log_client_message". By turning on this, any client messages will be
> logged without debugging messages.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Here are more detailed proposals.  (BTW, "log_client_messages" is more
appropreate as a configurations parameter, I think).

Here are the log formats when log_client_messages is on.

Bind: Bind message from frontend: portal: "portal name" statement: "statement name"
CancelRequest: Cancel message from frontend: process id: process_id
Close: Close message from frontend: portal name: "portal name"
       Close message from frontend: statement name: "statement name"
CopyData: CopyData message from frontend
CopyDone: CopyDone message from frontend
CopyFail: CopyFail message from frontend
Describe: Describe message from frontend. portal name: "portal name"
	  Describe message from frontend. statement name: "statement name"
Execute: Execute message from frontend. portal name: "portal name"
Flush: Flush message from frontend
FunctionCall: FunctionCall message from frontend. oid: oid
Parse: Parse messge from frontend: statement name: "statement name", query: "query string"
Query: Query message from frontend. query: "query string"
Sync: Sync message from frontend.
Terminate: Sync message from frontend.