[pgpool-hackers: 2985] Re: New feature: supporting SCRAM and CERT based authentication in Pgpool-II

Jesper Pedersen jesper.pedersen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 02:53:30 JST 2018

Hi,

On 08/22/2018 01:45 PM, Jesper Pedersen wrote:
> Have somebody else tried this ?

Ok, the attached hack allows pgpool-II to connect to PostgreSQL with the

pg_hba.conf:
------------
hostssl  all  all  all  scram-sha-256 clientcert=1

configuration. Of course it is just a single user, and more work needs
to be done.

However, it brings up the question about the configuration of SSL in pgpool.

We have a couple of scenarios

1) Client <--     --> pgpool <--     --> PostgreSQL
2) Client <-- SSL --> pgpool <--     --> PostgreSQL
3) Client <--     --> pgpool <-- SSL --> PostgreSQL
4) Client <-- SSL --> pgpool <-- SSL --> PostgreSQL

For 3) and 4) we need to have a way to map a user to a certificate which
then is used for the pgpool <-> PostgreSQL connection.

Also, there is the question if we can assume that the CA is the same for
both pgpool and PostgreSQL.

I think we should add a _pgpool_ identifier to the SSL configuration to
make it clear that its 2) that is being supported at the moment, like
ssl_pgpool_cert and so on. 3) and 4) could be ssl_backend_ based ones.

Thoughts ?

Best regards,
  Jesper