[pgpool-hackers: 2929] pg_md5: Usability

Jesper Pedersen jesper.pedersen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 02:43:51 JST 2018

Hi,

First my use-case; I need to create the pool_passwd before pgpool is
started, so I need to use

  pg_md5 -m -f conf/pgpool.conf -u md5_user md5_password

which I know is deprecated; I can't use -p, since this a non-interactive
script. Maybe there should be an option for an input file with users /
passwords in unencrypted format (user:password).

Also, I found the

  pg_md5 -u md5_user md5_password

command a little confusing, since it output

  68675fbd5f8a9f03341659489a70944f

where I was really looking for the line to append to pool_passwd, e.g.

  md5_user:md545e967027b297f53940769c57cd02768

Attached is a small documentation patch, but if somebody could explain
the idea behind and use-cases for the w/o -m case (68675...) then I can
include that in my patch.

Feedback on this would be appreciated.

Best regards,
  Jesper