[pgpool-hackers: 1814] Re: Fwd: .NET driver throwing error with pgpool ( with client_min_message = debug )

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Sep 20 07:34:10 JST 2016

IMO it's not a bug. It's possible that backend (in this case pgpool)
sends message to frontend even after ReadyForQuery, thus frontend must
be prepared for that situation.

See PostgreSQL manual:

50.2.6. Asynchronous Operations

There are several cases in which the backend will send messages that
are not specifically prompted by the frontend's command
stream. Frontends must be prepared to deal with these messages at any
time, even when not engaged in a query. At minimum, one should check
for these cases before beginning to read a query response.

It is possible for NoticeResponse messages to be generated due to
outside activity; for example, if the database administrator commands
a "fast" database shutdown, the backend will send a NoticeResponse
indicating this fact before closing the connection. Accordingly,
frontends should always be prepared to accept and display
NoticeResponse messages, even when the connection is nominally idle.

From: Ahsan Hadi <ahsan.hadi at enterprisedb.com>
Subject: [pgpool-hackers: 1813] Fwd: .NET driver throwing error with
pgpool ( with client_min_message = debug ) Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016
20:12:46 +0500 Message-ID:
<CAGX_dr2Fyj7hz8kT+dUaag5aE-zZ65fp1DggUPQZB0RkrbTAHQ at mail.gmail.com>