[pgpool-hackers: 1544] Re: Syntax for pgpool SHOW and SET commands

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Fri May 6 20:59:06 JST 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> wrote:

> Usama,
>
> Why do we need "PGPOOL" keyword? It seems to be annoying.

Basically, there are two reasons. First,is there are some configuration
parameter names that are same in PostgreSQL and pgpool-II like
"port", "log_min_messages"  and many others. So if we use the same syntax
without any difference, we would have no way of telling if the command is
referring to the pgpool-II or Backend.

like
SHOW port;
This command would be valid for both pgpool-II and PostgreSQL parameter.

Second, I think it's good to have distinction in commands for
setting/showing GUC and pgpool variables, otherwise it could cause the
confusions.