[pgpool-hackers: 1542] Syntax for pgpool SHOW and SET commands

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:57:04 JST 2016

Hi

I am currently working on adding the SHOW and SET commands for pgpool-II
configuration parameter, these commands will allow the user to alter the
specific pgpool-II configuration parameter values for a user session. More
or less, these commands will work in similar ways as PostgreSQL's SET and
SHOW commands for PostgreSQL's GUC variables. I have already checked in the
configuration parameter framework to the pgpool master branch and before I
push the SET and SHOW command functionality I want the opinion on the
syntax of these two commands.

I am thinking of using the PG's syntax with an addition of PGPOOL keyword
at the start

For example

PostgreSQL uses the following syntax for SHOW and SET command

SHOW variable_name;
SHOW all;
SET variable_name to value;
SET variable_name to DEFAULT;