[pgpool-hackers: 1662] New "PGPOOl SET" command and ERROR

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Sat Jun 25 21:05:47 JST 2016

Usama,

The new "PGPOOl SET" command is great but I think the behavior is
questionable when an error occurs.

I mean If an error in PostgreSQL occurs in an explicit transaction,
the whole transaction aborts and will not recover until ABORT or
COMMIT command is issued. But if an error is caused by "PGPOOL SET"
command, the transaction is not aborted because PostgreSQL does not
know about the error.

test=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
test=# PGPOOL SET backend_weight2 TO 0;
ERROR:  invalid Context, value for parameter "backend_weight2" cannot be changed
test=# SELECT 1;
 ?column?
        1
(1 row)

There are many applications which know about the PostgreSQL's
transaction behavior and issues ABORT or COMMIT in that case. I am
afraid that the "PGPOOL SET" command's behavior may confuse such that
applications.

What about changing ERROR to WARNING in the PGPOOL SET command error
case?