[pgpool-hackers: 1616] Redirecting queries to standby as much as possible

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Jun 10 15:13:19 JST 2016

Submitter of bug 195 (http://www.pgpool.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=195)
wants to redirect queries to standby as much as possible if the
transaction is read only. This brings up interesting conflicts to
current behavior of pgpool-II:

- the weight parameters of backend info needs to be ignored if the
  transaction is read only

- black and white function list need to be ignored if the transaction
  is read only

- database_redirect_preference_list needs to be ignored if the
  transaction is read only

- app_name_redirect_preference_list needs to be ignored if the
  transaction is read only

After all, if we don't want to confuse existing users in the use cases
above, we need to invent a new switch to change the redirecting
behavior depending on whether the transaction is read only or not.

Comments? Opinions?