[pgpool-hackers: 1304] Re: Doubt about child_max_connections in 3.4

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 01:37:10 JST 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> wrote:

> Hi Usama,
>
> I have made some investigations on how pgpool-II 3.4 handles
> child_max_connections and am having questions:
>
> - In child.c there are two places where child_max_connections is handled.
> Why?

Basically, with the exception manager, The child's process can exit from
the query processing loop in couple of ways, one if the exception is thrown
(erepor(ERROR)..) while other is returning from it when the client
execution is complete. So child_max_connections logic is handled on both
paths.

> - The latter place treats the case that child_max_connections reaches
>   as "FATAL". Why? Because this is pretty normal, this should be
>   treated as "LOG" (actually the former place treats it as "LOG"), no?

Yes correct. throwing the FATAL error when child_max_connection reaches is
a coding mistake. It should be a simple LOG message.

Thanks
Best regards
Muhammad Usama