[pgpool-hackers: 1435] Re: pgpool logging

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Mon Feb 29 08:14:24 JST 2016

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On 02/28/2016 05:57 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Devrim

> What is the recommended way for pgpool logging?
>
> I realized that redirecting the stderr output to a log file in
> systemd won't work, so by default, the RPMs don't have a meaningful
> logs by default. I mean, the following line in pgpool unit file won't
> work:
>
> ExecStart=/usr/pgpool-9.5/bin/pgpool -f /etc/pgpool-II-95/pgpool.conf
> -d  > /var/log/pgpool-II-95/pgpool.log 2&>1
>
> However, when I change log_destination to syslog, we get actual
> logs.
>
> Am I missing something with stderr configuration in general? What is
> the preferred pgpool logging, while checking issues with pooling?

I believe for SystemD you'll need a shell wrapper so you can use
something like logrotate to pipe the output of pgpool.

Another way may be to use the -c option for bash/sh but it seems like a
wrapper may be cleaner (from my perspective).

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926         Blog:  http://pablo-blog.blueoakdb.com