[pgpool-hackers: 1037] Re: Support policy

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Sep 4 08:06:22 JST 2015

>> Ok, let's say 5 years, instead of 5 versions. However, we may continue
>> the support a little bit longer than 5 years. For example pgpool-II
>> 3.0 was out in September 2010. If we strictly apply the "5 years
>> rule", we will drop the support this month but I don't think we can
>> make 3.5 out this month (probably October or November, instead). I
>> would like to continue the support for 3.0 until 3.5 is out.
>
> I like the 5 years, which mimics PostgreSQL's support policy but why
> do we want to support 3.0 until 3.5 is out? We have 3.4,3.3,3.2,3.1?

Yes, we want to support 3.0 till 3.5 is out.

3.0 was out in September 2010. If we strictly follow the 5-year-rule,
the support for 3.0 should have been terminated on September 1st. But
we have not officially announced the rule yet, thus it would not be
fair for 3.0 users.

Another idea is, we would keep the support for 3.0 until the time when
3.5 is out or next minor releases are out, whichever comes first.