[pgpool-hackers: 979] Enhancing pgpool-II performance for extended protocol

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Jul 24 18:08:36 JST 2015

Hi,

I have been working on enhancing pgpool-II performance for extended
protocol, which is used by Java applications etc. At the moment the
performance comparing with simple protocol is pretty bad: like 50%
slow down. For upcoming pgpool-II 3.5, I would like to mitigate the
problem. The basic idea is pretty simple: eliminate unnecessary sync
message as much as possible. I have talked about the idea at PGCon at
Ottawa:
http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/pgpool-II-3.5.pdf

I have been working on this for a while and now I think I can see the
goal. I can issue some extended protocol queries using pgbench -M
extended but still it does not complete the transaction if there are
multiple database nodes. I think I will publish the first patch by the
end of this July or beginning of August. Stay tuned.