[pgpool-hackers: 962] Re: "Source code repository" wiki page modified

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 06:07:57 JST 2015

Hi Tatsuo

The source code development policy statement looks good, I have tried to
rephrase the "pgpool-II version policy" section to make it more clear.
Please find below the rephrased version of the section if you think it is
appropriate.

--quote--

We release "major version" each year, which is mostly backward compatible
with the previous release, Exceptions to this rule are listed in the
release notes when sometimes some existing feature is dropped, depreciated
or a change that brings certain incompatibilities with the older versions.
The versions are numbered in the form of A.B.C where A.B is the major
version number while C represents the minor version of a release. Currently
pgpool-II versions are represented by A == 3 i.e 3.B.C where 3.B represents
the major version number, So current releases of pgpool-II is also
sometimes referred as "3. X series".

To absolutely identify version number, specifying the "minor version number
(part C of A.B.C version string)" is important. This minor version is
incremented for the bug fix release, which is roughly released every month.
For example pgpool-II 3.5.0 represents the first release of pgpool-II 3.5
series and 3.5.1 is the second minor (bug fix) release of the same. Unlike
major versions the new minor release is guaranteed to be 100% backward
compatible with the previous minor release.
--unquote--

Thanks
Best regards
Muhammad Usama