[pgpool-hackers: 1194] Re: Problem with pcp's UNIX domain socket

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Dec 9 07:34:16 JST 2015

>> > Secondly, pcp_* frontend clients have no dependency on and visibility
>> > of pgpool.conf file, so they have no idea about pcp_socket_dir value.
>>
>> This is questionable if we think about how PostgreSQL's libpq clients
>> behaves. For example, on RHEL6 psql included in the official
>> PostgreSQL rpm connects to UNIX domain socket under /tmp/ by default.
>> However, on RHEL7, psql connects to UNIX domain socket under
>> /var/lib/pgsql by default. So surely PostgreSQL clients has an idea
>> about UNIX domain socket directory. Shouldn't we follow the
>> PostgreSQL's way?
>>

> Please correct me if I am wrong. But I think libpq clients on RHEL7 and
> RHEL6 only have different default values for the socket directory and are
> not dependent on value of *unix_socket_directories* configuration
> parameter defined in postgresql.conf file.
>
> I am not sure, but I think the rpm build system on RHEL7 and RHEL6 might be
> changing the value of DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR define
> in include/pg_config_manual.h before making the build to get the desired
> default socket directory values.

That's I suspect too. I will let Yugo confirm this because he is in
charge of building pgpool-II rpms.

> And if we want to follow the PostgreSQL's
> way we can do the same by changing the UNIX_DOMAIN_PATH define in
> pcp_stream.h before building the rpm for the respective system.

That's what I am thinking as well. We will have patches for RHEL7:

- UNIX_DOMAIN_PATH in pcp_stream.h
- modifications to socket_dir and pcp_socket_dir in pgpool.conf.sample*
- modifications to socket_dir and pcp_socket_dir in pool_config.l