[pgpool-hackers: 873] Re: [pgpool-general: 3630] Re: version Option

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Apr 17 08:05:54 JST 2015

>> I wonder if some user's script might want to know pgpool version using
>> pgpool --version command. For example:
>>
>>        pgpool --version 2>/dev/stdout| awk '{print $3}'
>>
>> Now after the change this should be:
>>
>>        pgpool --version | awk '{print $3}'
>>

> I think we should still follow the Linux conventions even if it has a
> chance to break some user's script. Also I think it is a minor change and
> there would not be a lot of users who would get affected by this.

Ok, let's make the change happen. However, we usually do not apply
behavior-changing-fix to any back branches (unless it's really
necessary, for example security fixes). So we should apply the change
to git head (a.k.a 3.5).

In the mean time we also need make similar changes to all commands
including pg_md5 and pcp_*.