[pgpool-hackers: 685] Re: pgpool-II on Windows

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Nov 25 09:21:54 JST 2014

Ken,

> Folks,
> I know people have asked about this before.  But I'd like to look into doing this work myself.  That is, port the current Unix pgpool-II code to Windows (Visual Studio 2013).   I took a quick look at the code - it didn't see too much that would cause a lot of problems.  The one part that I saw that I need to look more into is the Virtual IP component.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1.       Has anyone started work on this already?

As far as I know nobody has started working on this.

> 2.       Do I need to register as a pgpool-II contributor?

You mean "contributor" as a committer of pgpool-II? Other than that,
we don't have any formal definition of "contributor".

> 3.       If I did do this and created a common code base with the Unix version, what would it take for the community to adopt and support it?

If there's a skilled Windows programmer in the pgpool-II developers
community, he/she might be able to take care of it (including you of
course if you wish). I think once you come up with a concrete patch,
we would start discussions on it.

> 4.       I'm not planning on porting pgpoolAdmin to Windows.  Would this be a problem?

No. However it's a web application and it would need little effort to
run it on Windows.