[pgpool-hackers: 672] Re: building pgpool-II

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Thu Nov 20 08:19:29 JST 2014

Hi Pavel,

> Hi Tatsuo,
>
> On Wednesday 19 of November 2014 17:58:36 Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> I have cleaned up pgpool-II build system. It uses autotools but there
>> have been number of problems including:
>>
>> 1) unable to build on some platforms due to the version difference of
>>    autotools version.
>>
>> 2) obsolete coding in configure templates and lots of warnings while
>>    running autoconf.
>>
>> I have fixed #2 and pushed into master branch. Also I'm trying to
>> solve #1 by using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE(disable). I know there are some
>> discussions on the directive. However at this moment this is the
>> easiest solution I can think of. So developers, for example, changing
>> pool_config.l must run configure with "--enable-maintainer-mode"
>> option.
>>
>> Also developers who are going to modify configure.ac (yes, I have
>> renamed it from configure.in), must use exactly same platform: Ubuntu
>> 14.04 LTS for now to avoid the version difference of autotools.
>>
>> Above are stated in a file "README.build" on the top directory.
>
> Would it be possible to keep only "template" auto-tools files in git tree?
> That means (usually) throw away generated '*.in' files, 'configure', etc.
> and keep there only 'Makefile.am' and 'configure.ac'?

Currently no. I am following the PostgreSQL way (keep those derived
files such as Makefile.in, configure in the repository). I believe
this is more convenient for most developers who just edit *.[chl]
files since they are not troubled by autotools version difference.

> Also, for development, would it be possible to specify minimal required
> auto-tools set in README.git-build or something like that?  Requiring
> Ubuntu specifically seems to be too restrictive (at least for me as Fedora
> user).  Autoconf/automake are pretty portable projects; it should not be a
> problem for any developer to install them in required versions.

I thought you can happily run configure on Fedora etc (I have tested
running configure on Cent OS 6.6, and it worked fine). Please let me
know if you have any trouble.

In the mean time the reason why I wrote "Ubuntu" in the README is, I
just wanted to fix autools version required to generate derived files
such as Makefile.in. Yes, I should have written each autools related
versions. I will do it.