[pgpool-hackers: 671] Re: building pgpool-II

Pavel Raiskup praiskup at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 00:39:25 JST 2014

Hi Tatsuo,

On Wednesday 19 of November 2014 17:58:36 Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> I have cleaned up pgpool-II build system. It uses autotools but there
> have been number of problems including:
>
> 1) unable to build on some platforms due to the version difference of
>    autotools version.
>
> 2) obsolete coding in configure templates and lots of warnings while
>    running autoconf.
>
> I have fixed #2 and pushed into master branch. Also I'm trying to
> solve #1 by using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE(disable). I know there are some
> discussions on the directive. However at this moment this is the
> easiest solution I can think of. So developers, for example, changing
> pool_config.l must run configure with "--enable-maintainer-mode"
> option.
>
> Also developers who are going to modify configure.ac (yes, I have
> renamed it from configure.in), must use exactly same platform: Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS for now to avoid the version difference of autotools.
>
> Above are stated in a file "README.build" on the top directory.

Would it be possible to keep only "template" auto-tools files in git tree?
That means (usually) throw away generated '*.in' files, 'configure', etc.
and keep there only 'Makefile.am' and 'configure.ac'?

Also, for development, would it be possible to specify minimal required
auto-tools set in README.git-build or something like that?  Requiring
Ubuntu specifically seems to be too restrictive (at least for me as Fedora
user).  Autoconf/automake are pretty portable projects; it should not be a
problem for any developer to install them in required versions.

Pavel