[pgpool-hackers: 598] Re: ereport

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:31:14 JST 2014

Hi Tatsuo

The idea behind dividing the ereport to multiple lines is to have more
control on amount and verbosity of log generated by pgpool-II (controlled
by log_error_verbosity configuration parameter). I have come across some
pgpool-II logs for debugging the customer end problems which are as large
as 600MB, so I thought this could help in shrinking the output log without
loosing information.

On the second point, I agree that the new log style might confuse some of
the users at first but since PostgreSQL uses the very similar multiline
logs and all pgpool admins are by default familiar with the PG, So they
will adopt it very quickly.

And lastly dividing the report to multiline (DETAIL, HINT ..) gives the
more leverage to throw more descriptive and informative messages to users.

--Usama