[pgpool-hackers: 593] Re: Proposal: change format of pgpool_status

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Aug 6 16:44:56 JST 2014

>  Hi,
> Text format status file is a good thing - easier to read, debug and
> share.

I have just committed and pushed the changes for this. Will appear in
3.4.0.

> I find the mix of status information and configuration in one file
> quite confusing. Can't be the same scenario solved by setting the
> initial state of standby nodes in the existing configuration file?

But separating them brings a benefit. You could discard pgpool_status
anytime you get into trouble. pgpool.conf is more like a configuration
file, thus it may be a suprising for users if pgpool frequently
modifies it. Also it brokes applications which reads/write
pgpool.conf, like pgpoolAdmin.