[pgpool-hackers: 359] Auto-learning database-modifying functions

Bruce Momjian bruce at momjian.us
Wed Sep 11 21:33:51 JST 2013

As I understand it, PgPool in read-balancing mode needs to know which
function calls modify the database so it knows to send these to the
write server.

I know you can specify a pattern to identify database-modifying
functions, but I am wondering if you could send queries containing
questionable functions to the read-only server, and if you get a
read-only error, then send them to the write server.  A more interesting
approach would be to remember which functions cause these failures and
then auto-route them to the write server when we see them again.

I believe this would give PgPool the ability to _learn_ which functions
need to go to the write server.  Is this already implemented?

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce at momjian.us>        http://momjian.us