[pgpool-hackers: 418] Re: Obosoleting parallel query

Ahsan Hadi ahsan.hadi at enterprisedb.com
Wed Nov 20 14:42:50 JST 2013

+1 for removing parallel query from pgpool. I know customers/users using
pgpool for other features but hardly anyone using it for parallel query.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 3:59 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce at momjian.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:56:33AM +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 14:17 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > > [...}
> > > I'm thinking about a future road map of pgpool-II and there's one
> > > thing that I would like to remove, rather than add: parallel query.
> > >
> > > The reason I would like to obsolete parallel query is:
> > >
> > > 1) very few users
> > >
> > > 2) it has severe restrictions such as certain queries cannot be used,
> > >    nor in extended protocol (i.e. JDBC)
> > >
> > > 3) nobody want to work on this
> > >
> > > 4) pain to upgrade to newer version of PostgreSQL's SQL parser (yes,
> > >    pgpool-II uses PostgreSQL's parser code).
> > >
> > > In short, parallel query gives us small gain comparing with the work
> > > needed to maintain/enhance. So I would like to obsolete parallel query
> > > in the future pgpool-II release.
> > >
> > > Opinions?
> >
> > Totally agree. pgpool has way too many features. I have no customers and
> > know of no users using the parallel query capacity of pgpool.
> >
> > So, +1 to get rid of it.
>
> Yes, I also agree.  I know it is hard to remove features, but sometimes
> it is the right thing to do.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce at momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>   + Everyone has their own god. +

Ahsan Hadi
Snr Director Product Development
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Phone: +92-51-8358874
Mobile: +92-333-5162114

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.