[pgpool-hackers: 274] Re: transaction pooling mode?

Jaime Casanova jaime at 2ndquadrant.com
Fri May 31 08:15:41 JST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> wrote:
>> fwiw, these are a few situations where i use pgbouncer's transaction
>> pooling mode:
>>
>> - GPS's or other devices inserting signals every few seconds (a
>> customer has more than 7000 GPS)
>
> This is really interesting case. So pgboucer accepts 7k connections
> from GPS? How is PostgreSQL's performance in the case?

well, the devices insert data every 3s. and pgbouncer is configured to
establish 200 connections' pool managing 1000 clients (i have never
personally have seen more than 65 connections in postgres, but i'm not
monitoring this all the time).

also because the GPS are just inserting and i have a new partition
every month that's pretty quick.

so in summary, we know there aren't 7k "concurrent" connections but 7k
connections distributed during a 3s window... still pretty awsome
though :D

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación