[pgpool-hackers: 292] pgpool-II testing framework

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Mon Jun 17 12:30:39 JST 2013

Hi,

It's been a long time TODO item to create a general testing framework
for pgpool-II. We already have certain test tools and they live in the
"test" directory. However, they are for limited test cases and far
from a general one. Here are requirements for the general testing
framework from my point of view:

1) must be able to test not only ordinary queries, but full
   functionality including load balance, replication, failover and
   query cache.

2) the should be able to be performed against pgpool server and
   multiple PostgreSQL database clusters.

Here is my proposal aiming for the general testing framework. The
script is a set of simple bash scripts. At this point I created one
function test (load balancing in both streaming replication mode and
native replication mode) and some bugs fixed recently. In each test,
fresh pgpool and PostgreSQL installation are created by using
pgpool_setup.

$ sh regress.sh
testing 01.load_balance...ok.
testing bug58...ok.
testing bug60...ok.
testing do_query...ok.
testing insert_lock_hangs...ok.
out of 5 ok:5 failed:0

Obviously there are not complete test cases but it is not terribly
hard to add necessary test cases by using the framework.

Also I think it would be nice to execute the test every night like
PostgreSQL's buildfarm.

Comments, suggestions are welcome.
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp