[pgpool-hackers: 280] Setteing down status before pgpool starting

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Jun 4 11:42:09 JST 2013

Hi,

I have encounterd a nasty problem while implementing pgpool_setup.  In
streaming replication mode, for example, to create primary+2 standby
servers, following steps are neccessary:

1) add all 3 db nodes to pgpool.conf
2) create primary server and start
3) start pgpool and wait for failover (because no standby servers are
   available at this point)
4) run pcp_recovery against each standby node

This way is annoyning because of #3. Another way is,

1) add only primary server
2) create primary server and start pgpool
3) add standby servers to pgpool.conf and reload pgpool.conf
4) run pcp_recovery against each standby node

This is not terribly samrt too.

It is nice if we could tell pgpool that standby servers are not
available yet *before* starting pgpool. If this is possible, we can do
like this:

1) add all 3 db nodes to pgpool.conf
2) tell pgpool that standby servers are down
3) create primary server and start
4) start pgpool
5) run pcp_recovery against each standby node

For #2 we need to create a tool to modiy pgpool_status file. I'm not
sure if we need to create separate tool or add new option to pgpool to
handle it.

Comments?
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp