[pgpool-hackers: 311] Config value to reverse meaning of whitespace

Jeff Lawson jeff at bovine.net
Wed Jul 17 01:43:34 JST 2013

pgpool normally treats leading whitespace on queries to be things that
should not be load-balanced, and anything without leading whitespace is
potentially eligible for load-balancing (if other conditions are also met).

I think it would be helpful if there was a configuration file setting that
would let you reverse that meaning, such that anything that you want to be
eligible for load-balancing must have leading whitespace.  Therefore, a new
application that is being brought onto pgpool will need to have each of its
queries explicitly modified to "opt-in" to being load-balanced.

We feel that this approach is safer for our environment, since it gives us
the opportunity to review every query to determine if it is safe to
load-balance, and verify that there are no replication latency concerns in
doing so.

We currently have to modify every version of pgpool with our custom patch
to reverse the meaning of whitespace, but it would be much more convenient
for us if this could be a configuration option instead of a code change.
 I've attached the patch that we currently use, which I think you could use
as the basis for a new configuration option.

Thanks
Jeff