[pgpool-hackers: 171] Road to 3.3

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Feb 26 18:18:04 JST 2013

Hi pgpool-hackers,

I'm thinking about the road to pgpool-II 3.3. Here are
additions/enhancements for 3.3 in my mind. Comments, suggestions are
welcome.

1) Easy installer

At least for a "simple configuration", it would be nice if we provide
simple and easy installer. Here the "simple configuration" means
two-node pgpool-II hot/standby configuration (probably PostgreSQL is
on the same node). For this purpose we need the latest pgpool-II RPM
(the latest RPM is pgpool-II 3.2.0 at this point as far as I know,
while the latest version is pgpool-II 3.2.3) and simple installer
written in shell. Native replication mode or streaming replication
mode will be allowed.

2) Enhance pgpoolAdmin

pgpoolAdmin should adopt the configuration above. i.e. pgpoolAdmin
should be able to handle multiple pgpool-II instances.

3) Import PostgreSQL 9.2 SQL parser

Current pgpool-II's parser is based on PostgreSQL 9.0. I would like to
update it to 9.2 (Nozomi is already working on this BTW).

4) Various enhancements on watchdog

- Allow to watch pgpool-II even all PostgreSQL servers are
  down. Currently if all PostgreSQL are down, watchdog treats
  pgpool-II as down. Pgpool-II should concentrate on watching
  PostgreSQL status and watchdog should concentrate on pgpool-II
  status.

- Prevent multiple pgpool-II instances from executing fail over script
  at the same time.

- Restart watchdog process if it accidentally dies

- More secure protocol between watchdog

5) Misc

- Allow to share on memory query cache by multiple pgpool-II instances
  using memcached. Currently multiple pgpool-II instances can share
  one memcached server but has problem with cache invalidation.

- Delete obsoleted (none on memory) query cache

- Add new directive to control the time out to look for new primary
  node. Currently it is "recovery_timeout" which is too long(the
  default is 90 seconds).
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp