[pgpool-hackers: 199] Re: Ideas for code cleanup

Bruce Momjian bruce at momjian.us
Thu Apr 11 10:22:03 JST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:49:24AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> welcome to the pgpool world!
>
> > Hi, everyone.  I am new to pgpool hackers, but not new to Postgres.
>
> Of course:-) you are one of the PostgreSQL core team, as everyone knows.
>
> > I am hoping to get involved in pgpool development.  I have looked over a
> > lot of the source code at this point, and am reading through the
> > documentation in English.
> >
> > The code quality seems very good.
> >
> > I was wondering if there was any interest in improving the code layout
> > of pgpool by splitting up some of the larger C files into smaller ones,
> > and adding some subdirectories.  I think that will make it easier for
> > new users to get involved in pgpool development.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.

OK, how should I proceed?  I have a github account to which I have
already pushed some branches:

	https://github.com/bmomjian/pgpool2/branches

The 'doc' branch has some English documentation wording improvements,
and the 'code' branch has some code and comment adjustments and
questions.

> > I was also thinking that running pgindent over the code would help make
> > it more consistent.
>
> This sounds also good. We have been following PostgreSQL coding style
> but we did not use pgindent. So there may be places where the rule is
> not respected.

I can create a git branch with just the pgindent output, but it will be
a large patch.  Do you want it now?  Should I create a git branch for
it?

The pgindent changes will be major so it would be best to do that first
--- then I can start working on the function location adjustments.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce at momjian.us>        http://momjian.us