[pgpool-hackers: 72] Removing old query cache

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Mon May 28 10:50:30 JST 2012

Hi pgpool hackers,

pgpool-II 3.2 will have on memory query cache functionality. As you
know pgpool also has old "query cache" and I would like to remove it
in the near future.

Basically the new on memory query cache is better substitution for the
old one. The old one is slow (because it uses PostgreSQL table as
cache storage), and has no automatic cache invalidation when tables
get updated. The only features that old one have but the new one do
not have are:

- No limitation of cache result length
- No limitation of cache storage size (as long as you have enough disk space)

My proposal is, in 3.2 we declare that the old query cache is
obsoleted, and then remove it in 3.3.

Opinions? Suggestions?
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp