[pgpool-general: 9055] Re: 0 th backend is not valid after upgrading to 4.5.1

Emond Papegaaij emond.papegaaij at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 00:02:41 JST 2024

Op vr 29 mrt 2024 om 15:26 schreef Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp>:

> > Hi,
> >
> > After upgrading from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 we see lots of regressions in our
> > test-suite when failovers are involved with the following exception in
> > WildFly:
> > Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: unable to read
> message
> > kind from backend
> >   Detail: 0 th backend is not valid
> >
> > I'm not sure what is causing this, but I've got the feeling that pgpool
> > keeps trying to send queries to a database that not available. I've
> > attached logging from pgpool. You can find the first error at 04:10:16
> > (or 2024-03-27T03:10:16.735933246Z pgpool timestamp).
>
> Can you share the backend status information at 04:10:16?
> - Each backend node id status (up or down)
> - Which was the primary node id?

I've attached the output for pcp_watchdog_info and pcp_node_info from node
1 and 3. As this is historical data, I don't have the status at exactly
04:10:16, but the output from node 3 is close (04:10:31). The error is
persistent. It keeps throwing the error until the test is aborted at 04:29.

As you can see, all 3 databases are up and synchronized. Node 2 runs the
primary database and Node 3 is the pgpool leader.

Best regards,
Emond