[pgpool-general: 9020] Re: exemption of "postgres" default database from connection caching

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Feb 13 16:27:59 JST 2024

>> By these reasons I hesitate to make postgres database to be cached.
>> Maybe we could add new option to allow postgres database to be cached
>> in the future?
>>

> This makes sense, it's just very much not our use case -- we primarily use
> postgres inside a cloud provider (Google CloudSQL) and manage table
> creation with migration tools executing sql directly.
>
> Ideally, the list of databases to disable connection caching for would be
> configurable in the same way that the reset query list is, e.g.:
>
>     backend_disable_connection_caching_databases0 =
> 'postgres;template0;template1;regression'

If the trailing zero means the backend node id, we don't need it
because such configuration should be equally applied to all node
ids. Also, the separator between each item does not need to be ";".
"," is better since each item in the list should never include white
space (reset_query_list has to allow white space in each item because
they are SQL command).

BTW, I think we don't need "backend" here because connection cache is
always created for backend, not frontend.

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS LLC