[pgpool-general: 8851] Re: queries not redirecting to primary when "delay_threshold_by_time" is exceeded

zam bak zam6ak at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 00:51:31 JST 2023

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 5:41 AM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

>                                    ~~~~~~~4.4.3-2
> >>
> >> Yes. That would be very helpful.
> >> Thank you!
> >
> > Ok, I will ask Peng Bo to prepare the RPM package.
>
> 4.4.3-2 RPM packages are out.

After installing updated packages, I can confirm that replication lag
now does cause all SELECT queries to go to primary...
However, after the replication lag subsides below threshold, all
SELECT queries remain "sticking" to primary (they are no longer load
balancing)

For testing I used pgbench initialization (this causes replication lag)

1. in one session runa simple query in a loop:
while true; do psql -U postgres -h localhost -p 9999 -d bench_test -c
"select case inet_server_addr() when '10.1.10.15' then 'replica_1'
else 'primary' end,count(*) from pg_tables WHERE schemaname !=
'pg_catalog' AND schemaname != 'information_schema'"; sleep 2; done

2. tail the pgpool log (with per node logging enabled). You will
notice that the statement load balances (db node: 0, db node:1 show
select in log)

3. use pgbench initialize to generate load, causing replication lag
pgbench --quiet --initialize --scale=1000 --foreign-keys bench_test

4. initially in pgpool log once the replication lag threshold is
reached (you will see log entries with "....node: 1 is behind' X.XXXX
seconds...."), you will see select statement going against node: 0
only...
   but once lag falls below 1s (treshold) and long after pgbench is
done with initialization, select queries remain going to primary
server only !!!