[pgpool-general: 6138] Re: Disable failover for a single pgpool/postgres node configuration

Pierre Timmermans ptim007 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 19:03:19 JST 2018

Hi,
There are a lot of parameters and it is indeed difficult to choose the right combination :-), so I am not sure neither.

>From my experiments, I see a difference if you set the flag DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER versus ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER.

with ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER, when the postgres database comes down pgpool will be detach it from the pool. But when the database is started again it won't be re-attached so you will have to do it manually.

with DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER you don't have this problem, in fact can not use the pcp_detach_node functionality
So I believe setting DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER is better in a single node set-up. I would also set fail_over_on_backend_error to no and health_check_period = 0 and failover_command = '' (empty string) and load_balance_mode = no
In a multi-node set-up, i found that having DISALLOW_TO_FAILOVER is not OK because then you cannot use pcp_detach (in case for example you would manually want to exclude one standby from the pool)

Regards,

Pierre