[pgpool-general: 5850] Re: pgpool ver. 3.6.6 / problem with restart

Piotr Gbyliczek P.Gbyliczek at node4.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 17:53:25 JST 2018

On Thursday, 11 January 2018 08:38:44 GMT Aleksander Englert wrote:
> Thanks for fast reaction. The problem is that as soon as I connect to
> pgpool only with pgadmin, restart is not possible, pgpool is hanging.
> When I close the pgadmin, pgpool is then turned off and waits to start.
> The entire process path is shown in the following step-by-step
> screenshots. Earlier, pgpool version 3.2.3 was used and a similar
> problem did not occur. I will just say that the topic is very important
> to us, because it is about using pgpool in the application used in the
> Ministry of Finance.

AFAIK pgpool does wait for connections to be closed on stopping.

The timeout that Tatsuo suggested should help with that, but setting it too
low may cause some legitimatelly idle connections being cut off.

You can have a look at this (from pgpool --help) :

=================
Stop options:
  -m, --mode=SHUTDOWN-MODE
                      Can be "smart", "fast", or "immediate"

Shutdown modes are:
  smart       quit after all clients have disconnected
  fast        quit directly, with proper shutdown
  immediate   the same mode as fast
=================

and set appropriate option  in /etc/sysconfig/pgpool or in pgpool.conf (not
sure if that is possible there)

Another solution may be to add another pgpool server and use watchdog. I've
seen pgpool hanging on stop all the time, but since we use it normally in
active passive pair, watchdog detects that pgpool is stopped and passive
pgpool pick ups the active role, thus allowing new connections to go through
to database. I usually wait few minutes on the former active server and then
kill pgppool processes there, then start pgpool back as passive server in
pair.

Regards,
Piotr
--

Piotr Gbyliczek
Solutions Engineer

Node4 Ltd, The POD, 10 Bottle Ln, Nottingham NG1 2HL
ddi. 08454 210444 | t. 0845 123 2222
e. P.Gbyliczek at node4.co.uk

Node4 Limited is registered in England No: 04759927 and has its registered office at Millennium Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8HZ
The information contained in this email is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the email addressee shown.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this mail in error, please notify our mail manager at abuse at node4.co.uk and delete it from your system.
Opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual not the company, unless specifically indicated to that effect.

This email has been scanned inbound by Node4's Email Security System.

This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.